Benefits of WoW for kids

For non-sports-related posts. Because we really can't stand talking about sports!
blackdog4444

Benefits of WoW for kids

Post by blackdog4444 »

I found this while searching for a news topic to review for science class:

http://www.livescience.com/common/media ... raft&mode=

I would like to see the look on my English teacher's face if she ever saw this video. :lol: Video games are usually associated with making school grades worse.
Indurrago

Re: Benefits of WoW for kids

Post by Indurrago »

Despite the fact that I NEVER played the game I found it very interesting. I've always noticed the statistics/strategies talks in the forums I'm suprised that an educator finally took notice the depth these players go into. That's about the coolest teacher I've ever heard of, a teacher who embraces video games as a way to educate kids. Thanks alot for sharing this Blackdog. :D
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

Yea it was pretty interesting. Too bad I couldn't have done a news review on that article!
Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

What a great idea! Writing would no longer be an uninspired chore -it would be for a purpose. A purpose the writer wants. And reading wouldn't be an aimless exercise, it would be to glean information, increase knowledge, and compete! This makes a lot of sense.

I Hope We Lose!
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

What got me was the fact that kids that didn't even want to write or couldn't write a couple sentences started posting daily on the forums. This'd be a beneficial thing for my less-than-retarded school, where the only thing they seem to get done is a good gab session or getting kicked out to the office. :lol:
Indurrago

Post by Indurrago »

Ray wrote:What a great idea! Writing would no longer be an uninspired chore -it would be for a purpose. A purpose the writer wants. And reading wouldn't be an aimless exercise, it would be to glean information, increase knowledge, and compete! This makes a lot of sense.
Well said Ray! I gotta do two essays one for two different classes and yes it feels more of a chore than anything else especially if you're given a small selection on what topics to write instead of any topic of your choice.
Thanks again blackdog, I vote this article, article of the year! :D
"We believe in Vader, the Darth almighty, destroyer of Alderaan and the Sith. We believe in Luke, his only son, our Jedi. He was concieved by the power of the Force, and born of the senator Padme. Suffered under Darth Sidius, electrocuted, survived and partied with Ewoks. He descended to the Death Star, on the third hour he flew out in an Imperial ship and landed on Endor. He is seated on the right hand of Obi-Wan's ghost. He will come again to train Leia to be a Jedi. We believe? in Yoda.........:D
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

I am honored. 8)
I have that same problem, Indurrago. My English teacher only usually has a few subjects for us to write about, and usually we can't chose our own. Of course, about 85% of the subjects she gives us to write about are - yes, you've guessed it- sports! I think she sees my look of disappointment and disdain everytime she mentions anything about sports. Thankfully I'm usually able to get away with writing about what I want since I do the best with that and not writing about Peewee Herman or whoever else is humiliating themselves by chasing balls around.
natmanhan

Post by natmanhan »

I have to say I prefer the old school RTS Warcraft games myself, but this sounds like a good idea.
blackdog4444

Post by blackdog4444 »

I like the newer version due to the fact.. well.. it's the only version I played. :lol: I'm guessing they use the same version of the game as I do since schools are just like. Maybe the teacher prefered it over the previous version, I don't know, but as long as it works and the kids are having fun, I guess it's worth it!
Katrin
Location: Urgh! Why do you want to know where I live! Don't make me get the gun out!

Post by Katrin »

ye nurds always chatting on aboot yer fuckin stupid video games, too scared to go out and get a life. u moan at sports cause u have nothin else to blame for not bein ableto get laid. screw u! :(

Just messing, people. Wondered what it would be like to be a sports bore just this once. I could already start to feel my brain cells wither and die! Bad spelling and grammar - one of the minor negative effects of sports.
Best guestbook comment ever!:

I THINK ALL SPORTS ARE TOTAL RUBBISH. THEY SHOULD BE BANNED FROM TV. THEN ALL PEOPLE WHO TAKE PART IN THE SPORTS SHOULD BE PUT AGAINST A WALL AND SHOT AND KILLED.

- Glenn
Saturday, July 04, 2009