My new rant...

Welcome, Mates! Post here for General Discussions on how thoroughly sports suck. In general.
Fitz301

My new rant...

Post by Fitz301 »

I'm watching the news and there's a story on about the NFL star Pat Tillman and how he's a "legendary hero", I say BULLSHIT!

The ONLY reason they're making such a big stink over this guy is because he played sports!

Tons of soldiers have died in Iraq, but apparently their lives are meaningless when it comes to some sports jackass. I say this because everytime some news show brings this story up, the first words uttered are usually "NFL star Pat Tillman"!
The way they describe this guy you would think he took on the whole war all by himself. I can just it now; there's NFL star Pat Tillman - shirt open revealing how buff he is with the sleeves torn off his shirt toting an M60 machine gun in one hand and an ammo belt in the other taking on the whole Iraqi army while the American flag waves in the background and all the rest of his outfit cower in a foxhole or hide behind rocks and trees.

WHATEVER!

GOD I HATE SPORTS!!!!

Fitz301 :twisted:
Ray
Site Admin

Re: My new rant...

Post by Ray »

Fitz301 wrote:I'm watching the news and there's a story on about the NFL star Pat Tillman and how he's a "legendary hero", I say BULLSHIT!

The ONLY reason they're making such a big stink over this guy is because he played sports!

Tons of soldiers have died in Iraq, but apparently their lives are meaningless when it comes to some sports jackass. I say this because everytime some news show brings this story up, the first words uttered are usually "NFL star Pat Tillman"!
The way they describe this guy you would think he took on the whole war all by himself. I can just it now; there's NFL star Pat Tillman - shirt open revealing how buff he is with the sleeves torn off his shirt toting an M60 machine gun in one hand and an ammo belt in the other taking on the whole Iraqi army while the American flag waves in the background and all the rest of his outfit cower in a foxhole or hide behind rocks and trees.

WHATEVER!

GOD I HATE SPORTS!!!!

I agree! He was no better than anyone else that went over there. I can't believe his family is making such a big stink about the government "cover up". It's not like the government is making him look BAD! You would think they would much rather hear that he went down slugging for mom and apple pie than what really happened: shot by his fellow troops.

I Hope We Lose!
Fitz301

Post by Fitz301 »

Yeah, no shit!

How many other reports have we heard of helicopters going down due to friendly fire, or other friendly fire incidents? But suddenly one of these reports happens to involve a "NFL star" and it's a media circus!

Also, when they talk about this guy they keep saying this guy "gave up a football career" to join the military after 9/11, as if he did us all a favor by going to Iraq. Gee thanks, don't do me any favors! How many othere did that exact same thing?

Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

Fitz301 wrote:Yeah, no shit!

How many other reports have we heard of helicopters going down due to friendly fire, or other friendly fire incidents? But suddenly one of these reports happens to involve a "NFL star" and it's a media circus!

Also, when they talk about this guy they keep saying this guy "gave up a football career" to join the military after 9/11, as if he did us all a favor by going to Iraq. Gee thanks, don't do me any favors! How many othere did that exact same thing?

You would think this would be self-evident. We shouldn't even have to say it --that his sacrifice was no greater than anyone else's but apparently it's NOT evident to most people. I just did a search on Pat Tilman and there's a lot of blogs out there and if anyone even implies that his sacrifice was less than anyone else's the poster is immediately multi-flamed! One guy said "His death was so much more tragic because he was an NFL player." And for that the poster was given a flamethrower enema. I still maintain that he had all the millions he needed, was bored with football, and was merely another glory hound.

Have you heard the latest media-supported mass topic? Why is the flag flown at half-mast for the victims of the Virginia tech murders when it's never flown at half-staff for our soldiers when THEY die? Which is a good question in my opinion. I think the flag should be flown at half-staff until the war is over in honor of our soldiers.

If the public can see the logic in that, why can't they see the logic in the Pat Tilman story --that his sacrifice was no greater (and maybe even less) than anyone else's?

I Hope We Lose!
RaleighRob

Post by RaleighRob »

Well, actually, I agree with the main reason why Tillman's family is making the stink: the fact that the government USED his sports celebrity, LIED about how he died in the war, to MAKE him a war hero, when he wasn't.

So the real issue is the government trying to take advantage of person's popularity in sports and falsely using it as PR for their war. I think it's pretty clear that if he had been any other soldier, and not a sports figure (or any other celebrity), the army wouldn't have lied and made him out to be a hero.

That's the truly sickening part of all this.
Fitz301

Post by Fitz301 »

Talking about the government, has anyone ever noticed that any time the government spends money on anything for example a $500 hammer, every armchair critic bitches for weeks on end... yet, no one bitches when a sports "star" signs a $250,000,000 contract for one year.

Ray
Site Admin

Post by Ray »

Fitz301 wrote:Talking about the government, has anyone ever noticed that any time the government spends money on anything for example a $500 hammer, every armchair critic bitches for weeks on end... yet, no one bitches when a sports "star" signs a $250,000,000 contract for one year.

yep. that's true. At least when the government pays $400 for a hammer, you know they've bought themselves the best hammer money can buy. When a team hires a typical athete for $250,000,000, what do they get? A crack addict with a ball playing habit.

I Hope We Lose!